Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship Fund
The Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship is a community-based education scholarship fund in honor of the legacy of Kevin Dunbar. Kevin had a huge impact in the running community as a mentor, coach, volunteer, and athlete. He was a passionate lawyer who worked tirelessly to help others. This scholarship fund will give back to the community by supporting track and endurance runners and individuals in need as they pursue postsecondary education.
The Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship fund will provide two annual scholarship grants in the amount of $2500.00 each to individuals from the Leeds & Grenville, Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox and Addington areas. Scholarships will be presented annually at the Kingston Road Runners Association (KRRA) Limestone Mile on July 1, in Kingston, Ontario.
KEVIN DUNBAR MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Athletic Based Scholarship Criteria - $2,500.00
• This scholarship will be awarded to a student graduating high school who has demonstrated outstanding athletic performance in cross-country and/or track running events.
• The application will allow each candidate the opportunity to showcase their sport and scholastic achievements, goals and future sport and life aspirations.
• The candidate must be enrolled in post-secondary education, attending University or College in the fall of the upcoming school year.
Community Scholarship Criteria - $2,500.00
• This scholarship will be awarded to a student graduating high school who has demonstrated financial need for their post-secondary education.
• Individuals applying for this scholarship will be required to attest to and describe their need and how they would benefit from this award.
• Individuals may be nominated by an educator or community organization with their consent.
• The candidate must be enrolled in post-secondary education, attending University or College in the fall of the upcoming school year. *Detailed financial documents will not be collected or required as part of the scholarship application process.
Scholarship Recipient Selection Process
• The deadline to submit applications for the scholarship will be April 30th each year, beginning in 2024.
• The selection committee for the scholarship awards consists of Elizabeth Stewart Shaver, Douglas Wark, Fiona Dunbar, a representative from the Kingston legal community and a representative from the Trihardz group (subject to change as needed).
• Each selection committee member will review all scholarship applications submitted by the deadline.
• Each selection committee member will indicate their recommendation for the top two candidates for each scholarship type.
• The committee will review the top selections for each scholarship type and each individual committee member will rank the candidates.
• The candidate ranks will be totaled and the applicant with the highest final rank will be the successful candidate for the scholarship award.
The Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship is administered in partnership with the Kingston Road Runners Association (KRRA). The KRRA is a non-profit, independent athletic organization, which embraces runners of all ages and all ability levels. Information about the KRRA is available on their website: KRRA | Kingston Road Runners Association. All donations made to the Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship fund are overseen and invested by Pam Mundell of CI Assante Wealth Management.
HOW TO MAKE A DONATION
Anyone may donate to support the Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Donations may be made directly, by e-transfer to email@example.com.
Donations are also collected at the KRRA Limestone Mile event. All contributions made to the Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship fund equal to or exceeding $1000 MAY be advertised as “Special Contributions”:
• At the KRRA Limestone Mile event on July 1
• The Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship webpage and social media account(s)
• Special contributions MAY be mentioned in news releases and other promotional materials
FUNDRAISING EVENTS – ANNUAL
Fine Balance Brewery Run – June 7, 2023
TriHardz Ride for Dunbar – June 17, 2023
KRRA Limestone Mile – July 1, 2023
KEVIN DUNBAR MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND INVESTMENT PLAN -
The Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship Fund (KD Fund) will help to support secondary students who wish to pursue post-secondary education. The annual Limestone Mile will be an opportunity for Kevin’s family, and the Kingston and Area community to gather and remember Kevin and also as an opportunity to raise funds for the Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship Fund. The Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship Fund is an investment account set up by the Kington Road Runners Association (KRRA) with Assante Financial Management.
This investment fund will be used solely for the purpose of accumulating funds to support the Kevin Dunbar Memorial Scholarship Fund. Any individual or group/association including running groups, biking organization or anyone in the legal community could contribute to this investment fund by way of online contributions.
The KRRA is a non-profit organization with a long history in Kingston within our local running community. The KRRA has a board of directors and bank account. The signing authority for the bank account is held with the president (Lana Saunders), treasurer (Paul Cehan) and one other board of directors (Al Cantlay) The investment account will be in the KRRA’s name and linked to the KRRA bank. The investment account will have the same signed authority as the bank account.
Kingston Road Runners Association (KRRA) Information:
• Unincorporated association
• Follows a clear constitution
• Clear written rules & records
• KRRA is owned by its members
• Clear decision-making documents
• Governed by an elected Board of Directors Pam Mundell, of Assante Financial Management, will be responsible for keeping track of the contributions into the investment fund.
The money in the investment fund will be invested in a combination of short-term and longer-term Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs). Funds that are contributed will be invested into GIC companies that are members of the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) which means 100% guaranteed principal and 100% guaranteed interest. Current GIC rates as of today, April 20, 2023, range from 4.25% for a short term 30 day to 4.78% for a 1-year GIC and 4.51% for a 5-year GIC. The GICs will be staggered into GIC terms to mature June of each year to provide the needed funds for the presentation of the scholarship funds on July 1st of each year at the Limestone Mile.
The committee of Liz Stewart Shaver, Doug Wark, Al Cantlay and Pam Mundell will be responsible for the planning and implementation of KD Fund. Pam Mundell will have authorization and the responsibilities to share and discuss the contributions made into the investment fund, to report back updates on market values of the investment fund to the committee in order to allow the committee to successfully plan to for 2 annual scholarships of $2,500 to be awarded each year. The committee has the authorization to change the annual amounts awarded each year. The first scholarship funds will be paid out at the Limestone Mile on July 1, 2023. Investment funds in the investment account will be deposited back into the KRRA bank account so that a KRRA cheque is presented to each recipient.